Monday, April 29, 2013

Adichie 'deeply care about Nigeria'

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is one of Nigeria's best writer. Her novel "Half of a Yellow Sun'' is being made into a movie and her new book the"Americanah" shows modern life in Nigeria's largest city, Lagos.



"I'm writing about where I care about and I deeply, deeply care about Nigeria," Adichie told The Associated Press. "Nigeria is the country that most infuriates me and it is the country I love the most. I think when you're emotionally invested in a place as a storyteller, it becomes organic."


Adichie describes herself as looking "at the world through Nigerian eyes," but she doesn't hold back on criticizing its culture that fosters widespread government corruption. Or what she perceives as the excessive, neutered politeness of "political-correct language" in the U.S.

"Nigeria wasn't set up to succeed, but the extent of its failure is ours. It's our responsibility," she said. "This country is full of so many intelligent people, so much energy, so much potential, so why are we here?"
How many Nigerians out there deep care about the country?



0 comments:

Post a Comment